Mairitius – September 16th – 18th

September 16th

We woke up at 6:00 am so that we could drive the hour and a half to Port Louis for Jay’s 8:00 am scuba dive. We were shocked when we saw how much rush hour traffic there was into Port Louis. The drive was supposed to be an hour and 20 min, and it didn’t help that I forgot my charger at the apartment and we had to go back to get it. We drove in stop-and-go traffic for a little less than an hour. With 20 minutes to 8:00 am and google maps telling us we still had 40 minutes to our destination, we didn’t think we were going to make it. The only saving grace was that the dive boat didn’t leave until 8:30 am, so if he could make it before then, just maybe they’d still let him do the dive. 

Well, we ended up making it to the shop at around 8:25 am, and Jay ran inside to see if he could still go. After about 10 min, he re-emerged from the shop in a wet suit and was off to his dive. He is taking a 3 day advanced scuba diving course. He’ll do 5 dives over the course of the 3 days and be tested on deep water diving skills. While Jay is diving each morning, I get to have some relaxing beach time. 

Once Jay was on his way, I headed out walking in the other direction to find a beach. It was still early enough that none of the vendors were there to try to sell me things. But, once the shops started opening, the salesmen came out and I left the beach and walked to a nearby town.

Mont Choisy Beach
My walk to Trou Aux Biches

We met up again after the dive and headed to our hotel, the Le Meridian, which is a Marriott Jay got with his points from work trips. 

View from our hotel balcony

After getting checked in, which took about  45 minutes with the welcome drinks, meeting the general manager, and listening to a woman list all the restaurants in the hotel, we headed to our room. Jay had to read a scuba book and study for the diving course. So after he finished a couple chapters, we took a walk along the beach. It was a picturesque beach and we walked as far as we could along the coast.

September 17th

Jay left for his second day of diving this morning. I did a run at the gym this morning, then took a walk into town, and then relaxed out at the beach. 

After Jay returned from his scuba dive, he worked on his scuba course a little more. Then we relaxed the rest of the afternoon. We’re taking advantage of our last days of vacation drinking gin and tonics on the balcony watching the waves and the sunsets. 

September 18th

Jay had a short dive today and was back to the room by around 10:30. We headed out to the north of the island to see some sites. We stopped at Grand Bay and walked along the beach. It was basically a shopping area with a small section of beach. It started to rain a little bit, so we only did a short walk. 

Grand Bay

Then we headed to the botanical gardens. We enjoyed the giant lily pads in the ponds and the many different trees and plants. 

Botanical Gardens
Giant lily pad pond
Botanical Gardens
Old sugar cane mill

Then we headed back to the hotel for our last night of the trip. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *