Nairobi, Kenya – July 27th

Today we took it fairly easy. We took a stroll through some parks in the morning. Then, we caught an Uber over to an elephant orphanage. The orphanage was only open to the public for 1 hour a day between 11:00 am and 12:00 pm. We arrived at around 10:00 am and waited for the gates to be opened.

Once inside, everyone gathered around a roped off dirt area. Then, 7 young elephants came running in. We got to watch them drink their bottles and play in the dirt.

Next they brought out an older group of 7 more elephants, still all less than 4 years of age. The handlers answered questions from the audience and educated us about how each elephant was orphaned and how they are cared for and reintroduced back into the wild.

The facility is truly focused on conservation. There are no fancy gimmicks to try to get more money. It’s just education about conservation and the chance to get to see the baby elephants play.

Next we headed to the Giraffe conservation area which was about an 8 km drive away. Here we were handed a small packet of pellets to feed the giraffes. Then we walked up into a raised balcony area, and the giraffes came to eat the pellets out of your hand. We fed two giraffes. One was a male named Edd who was 8 years old and the other was a female named Kelly who was 18.7 years old. Edd was much bigger than Kelly, but Kelly was known to have somewhat of a temper and would head-butt you if she got irritated.

We learned that these were Rothschild or Nubian Giraffes and there are only about 400 of them left in Kenya.

After seeing the giraffes, we Ubered back to our hotel and then went out to run some errands – exchange money and get groceries. Then we relaxed in the hotel until dinner. Tomorrow, Jay’s family arrives and we head out on our safari.

2 thoughts on “Nairobi, Kenya – July 27th”

  1. Thank you Jess for all the wonderful reports on your whole trip I have very much enjoyed both you and Jay’s daily commentary. Such a hard mountain- dangerous and exhausting. Pretty soon the folks will be there to give you some extra care-although you are both lookin amazingly good to this Grandma. Love to you both. Gram Anne

    1. Thanks Grandma Anne!
      The hike was a tough one, but we’re pretty much recovered now. We had a wonderful time with the Johnson family on the safari! We’re sad for everyone to be leaving already. We’re off to Zanzibar tomorrow on our next adventure! We’ll keep you updated with our travels on the blog!
      Jay and Jess

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *